Tuesday 13 January 2015

Adapting to Americanisms



Reading and writing the date is now something that takes more mental effort than it should. I always feel slightly nervous when someone hands me a document to sign and date. First, I pause at my last name (I still have to fight the instinct to write my maiden name) and then I gaze in apprehension at the space for the date. Thirteen, zero one … No wait … there’s only twelve months, I need to switch it … the first month, day thirteen, 2015.

As someone who is exceptionally fond on logic, I miss the sense of writing the date in increasing units. Driving on the other side of the road was WAY easier than re-learning how to write the date. Thankfully, I've only found myself on the ‘wrong side’ once, and that was in a parking lot so it didn't really matter. Everyone’s confused in a parking lot. ‘Crap, I’m going the wrong way!’, ‘How do I get out of here!?’ In my brain, things start from the left to right, like reading and writing. It doesn't help that I’m a lefty.

I have to admit, I also wasn't expecting people to find my accent difficult to understand. I guess there’s less British TV here than there is American TV in the UK. When I’m in the grocery store and the sales assistant asks me what I’m looking for, I’m usually met with a blank stare. It took me a while to realize that sometimes people are listening more to my accent than what I’m actually saying. I've even taken to putting on an American accent when I’m on the phone, or when I’m ordering ‘warder’ to drink, just to save time. Which is seriously embarrassing because my American accent sounds like I have an unhinged jaw. 

My biggest surprise has been that no one really uses electric kettles here. They still heat up cold water on the stove, or zap it in the microwave. One of the most surreal experiences of my life has been showing people how when you flick the switch on the kettle, it makes the water boil quickly. ‘Ooooooo!!’

Other things that have taken some getting used to are: mailboxes (having your mail sitting outside your house instead of being delivered into your house), price labels not including the tax, gaps between restroom cubicle doors (awkward), home air conditioning, not being able to walk to any destinations (apart from when we lived in the city), using airplanes like trains, and 24/7 sports. I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to the last one. I might have to secretly unsubscribe us from ESPN and pretend it’s broken. Although the hubby would just watch it on his ‘cell phone’ … during dinner … in a restaurant. Okay, that’s only happened once. Twice.

On my list of American favorite things are: filtered water and ice directly from the fridge, s’mores, automatic cars, super friendly people (I’m now BFFs with the security system installer), American TV shows, the growing number of health food stores and the national anthem. I’m not sure why, but I’m frequently humming the American national anthem. So I think I’ll put that as a side note on my citizenship test. I even know it has four verses not just one! (Smiles self-importantly)

Yep. I think I'm pretty well adjusted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment